A Travellerspoint blog

A Day at Sentosa

a/k/a Edna's Farewell Tour

sunny 90 °F

I've not written in this blog as much as I did in 2010, mainly because of the sameness of the day-to-day events. I didn't really feel as if I had anything new to share.

But, that changed on Sunday when the majority of the group headed to Sentosa Island for the day. We'd received passes from the company which gave us a free ride over to Sentosa and discounts throughout the day.

And, because I am leaving Singapore on Monday morning, we referred to the day as my farewell tour. I'm heading back after 2 weeks for a number of reasons, all business-related. Let's just leave it at that and enjoy the day.

We left the hotel right around 10:00 AM (and that was a near miracle – getting 9 people up and out on a Sunday morning) and boarded the MRT for the ride to our starting point. A trek up 4 levels of a shopping center got us to the departure point for the Sentosa Express (a monorail system). Once on board it was a short ride over the water to the Waterfront Station on Sentosa Island.

We all got maps and got our bearings and headed out to enjoy the day. We didn't get far fast as it seemed that we stopped every 30-40 feet or so to take group pictures. And, not with just one camera – oh no! There were usually 4-6 (at least) snapping away.

As a matter of fact, here's one of those group shots. I'm not in it – I had 4 cameras to juggle!
That's members of our group posing amongst the letters.

Our first stop was the Sky Tower. I chose not to go up it, so cannot describe it accurately. I was sitting in the shade, in front of a fan, eating chocolate ice cream. Have I mentioned it was very hot today, or did that description give you an idea?

The next stop was the luge, an attraction all of us took part in. (And we all looked silly in our safety helmets.)

Laughter and screams were heard all the way down the course. At the bottom of the hill we found ourselves practically at the beach, so decided to make our way to an attractive spot and claim it for the day. Now, I chose not to wear my bathing suit today, nor did I get in the water. The sight was not one I wanted to leave with this group, nor did my midwestern US lily-white skin need quite that much sun!

After sitting in the shade with my Kindle for a while, my roommate Tina and I decided to do a little exploring. We headed for another beach and a spot marked as the Southernmost Point in Continental Asia (and I have the photo to prove it!).


Shortly after our arrival the seemingly daily deluge occurred, accompanied by thunder & lightning. We found a safe, and relatively dry, place to wait it out.

A return to the beach area we left put us in a restaurant names “Coastes” to await the arrival of our CWT trainer Donna and her husband, Paul. They were going to join us for a quick visit and a bite to eat.

Tina & I were joined by 2 others in the group and we all ordered a meal as we waited for the others. Just as Donna & Paul arrived the second deluge of the day hit. Fortunately we were, once again, under cover.

The remainder of our group were not so lucky. They'd just started down the hill on another luge ride when the rain hit and they all got absolutely soaked. Those of us sitting high and dry were feeling a bit smug!

After the rain quit and meals were over we headed back toward Singapore. The group split in half – some headed immediately back to the hotel, the rest of us headed toward the gift shop of the Hard Rock Cafe to purchase souvenirs (my HRC t-shirt purchase was my only souvenir of this trip) before heading home.

Once back at the apartment it was time to finish up the packing and get ready to travel for about 24 hours. Before I could do so, our room became Grand Central Station with everyone stopping in to say good-by, exchange email addresses and make Facebook connections. I've only known this group of people for about a week; however, I feel as if they've become very good friends during that short period of time. I'm looking forward to the possibility of seeing them again during future visits to the U.K. (and, there WILL be more of those.)

Thus begins the end of this particular adventure. The car service will pick me up at 3:30 AM local time for a drive to the Singapore airport. I'll board a plane at 6:00 AM. By the time I reach St. Louis, and the end of my journey, it will be about 5:00 AM Singapore time on Tuesday morning. Blech!!!

Oh, BTW - I did find grape jelly. But, because I was leaving I chose not to buy it!

Posted by uktvlr 10:35 Archived in Singapore Tagged sentosa

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint